Jul 7, 2011

Toddler trainspotting

Last Friday my son decided to throw his binky to the garbage. It seemed like a big step for him since he's kind of addicted to it.
Or so I thought.

Turned out, he wasn't kind of addicted. He was a total junkie. If you ever saw trainspotting, this was like a lighter, cute but frightening version!

total binky junkie


After I'd been talking with him at the office how big boys don't use binkies anymore, and how it would be a big step to get rid of it, when we came home for lunch, he went to his room, opened the trash can and threw it in there.
Waved good bye.
Closed the trash can.
That was it!

That was soooo easy!! Unbelievable.

Then came the afternoon nap. He couldn't sleep. He was tossing and turning in bed, sweating, angry, crying... He finally fell asleep. Then he woke up after only 20 minutes.

His face was transformed!! His hair had a new sweaty, glued to one side style. His eyes where red, his usual smile, gone.

Binky, he said.
You threw it in the garbage honey, I said.

More crying.

Binky mom!
We don't have it anymore honey...

More crying.

Then we went to the grocery store, ran some errands, came back home. Every half and hour he asked me over and over again.

Binky??
Nope. We don't have it anymore, honey.

After this dreadful afternoon, the most feared moment arrived: bedtime.
In bed, once more he asked me for his binky.

As we've been watching a lot of Toy Story 3 lately, he's very well informed how the garbage process works. How the garbage truck comes and picks everything and then dumps it in a horrible place. (unless you have some alien toys that can save your stuff)

at least  the poor pacifier won't be alone...


So I explained it to him...


Remember how you threw your binky this morning in the trash can? Well, it's gone honey.

Open the trash can, he suggested.

So I did.


The garbage is not here anymore honey, the garbage truck already took it.

That's when the real pain started... His crying face turned to panic. That was the moment when he realized what he had done!!
He then knew the binky was NOT coming back!

He kissed me goodbye in tears and fell asleep an hour later. He woke up at least 10 times during the night.
Every hour or so you could hear him mumbling... Binky, binky... Truck... Binky... Truck!
Poor thing!

The top point was when I was asleep, and my husband heard him calling for Toodles. You know, Toodles from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? That little character that brings you Mousekatools.


Oh toodles!!! Bring me my binky please!!!


And then, at 2am, he stopped crying and slept like a baby (like a baby with his binky at least).

Saturday morning, I woke up only to find him with ANOTHER binky in his mouth!!


Where did you get that??? I asked him.

He smiled, and triumphantly answered: POCKET.

He is a smart kid. LIke any junkie, he had his secret stash well hidden somewhere in his crib. And I guess that around 2 am, he found it.
Maybe Toodles brought it. Who knows.

All I know is that we made a deal that he can only use the binky to sleep, in his crib. NO exceptions.

One week tomorrow, the toddler trainspotting experience seems far away. I wonder how hard will it be to make it disappear for good! But for now, we are all happy with the deal we have.

1 comment:

  1. aaaaw! Hermoso Guntherin... dejale no mas el chupón, qué tortura! jaja como q a mi me quites el chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete