Jun 16, 2011

Eccentric? Or just trying too hard?

I had lunch with my friends today, and we shared a lot of memories from high school and talked about school options for our own children.We talked about being a teen, about friends, about fitting in.

The timing couldn't be better to read what I just did. It's an article about creativity called "The unleashed mind: why creative people are eccentric".
I enjoyed it a lot.

I've always thought of myself as a person who's somewhat eccentric, but I must confess that describing oneself as anything, proves quite the opposite.

So I often limit the descriptions of myself to the physical part that are obvious to everyone (fat, pale, brown hair...). You'll never hear me saying "oh, I'm sooo smart" or "I'm so talented" (unless I've been drinking a few glasses of course, that changes the whole story. Then you'll hear me talking about anything else than me, me, ME, ME!).

But I do like to say every now and then that I think of myself as a creative person, because that's something true. I don't go around saying stuff like "you won't IMAGINE what I did with that necklace you gave me, I took all the beads out and sewed them in a tshirt,  because I never use an object for it's original purpose..."
No. I don't say things like that. I hate people who do that. It seems so lame to me.
I like working on the creative area of things, and I enjoy when I come up with a solution for a problem that's been bothering me. So yes, I do think I'm creative.
But eccentric? No. I wouldn't go that far.

I have my moments, but most of the time I'm trying to be different. I hate looking like someone else. Since high school I've been trying to be different than most and look different from ALL.

When does trying to be different end and genuinly thinking different begins? According to this article, if I believe in fairies, elfs, unicorns, ghosts and life beyond death I have a Schizotypal personality. 
So that makes you weird. 
I don't think so, but I have talked about this stuff to people that looked at me as if I was serial killer telling about their next victim!


True story... I once told this woman that used to be my client, about an elf that lived in my house and hid stuff. I told her how I left him pork meat and a shot of whiskey at night and he once drank it. When I finished my story, she was looking at me like I was a crazy person. Really. She had this huge eyes and her mouth was wide open, and she just said "oh my, you are hillarious". 
I wasn't kidding! I told her that, but she pretended to do something else and that was the end of it.


Does that mean I have a Schizotypal personality? Or does that mean that I HAD AN ELF LIVING IN MY HOUSE!!!


Anyway... Even though I've heard before about creativity being linked to eccentricity, it's nice knowing that those sudden urges I get now and then are linked to something more that crazyness!

(see, I'm saying that I'm crazy, because I don't actually think that I am.)



No comments:

Post a Comment